Rising Kindergarten Summer Learning
Hands-on Pre-Kindergarten Activities
Count – Compare – Estimate – Measure
- Measure and compare (your height, things taller you, things shorter than you, things same height as you) – use cups, string, other household items.
- Sort objects into long and short
- Time – relate time to events (morning, evening, and night)
- Patterns – sounds, movement (dance, skipping and hopping) reproduce up to three patterns of sound movement
- Position – use words in or out; on or of; here or there; beside or next to indicate where things are, etc.
- Computation – use concepts of one more or one less make a collection of items that are larger and smaller
- Addition – use objects to add items up to 5
- Subtraction – use objects to subtract items less than 5
- Number sense – count from 1 to 10 forward and backward, identify the next numbers in the series of numbers 1 to 10
Select books from different genres
Click HERE for the ADW Pre-K Reading List
- Recognize environmental words/signs in print
- Use complete sentences when talking and describing what you see or experience
- Create a grocery/shopping list
- Around the home – identify foods for cooking, identify items in the store
How to read with your child
- Make predictions about the story based on the covers and the pictures inside the book – predict what will come next in the story
- Encourage your child to point to each word as you read the sentence – use your finger while reading each word
- Read and repeat – Read the sentence and have your child repeat
- Check for understanding after you read
- Talk about the story as you read it
- Ask a question and make comments during the reading process
- After reading have your child tell you the events in the correct order of the story
- Encourage your child to make connections.
- Ask: Does this story remind you of another book we read or events we have experienced?
Don’t be afraid to reread the same book! Repeating reading helps to build reading fluency.
- Color scavenger hunt
- Shape scavenger hunt
- Alphabet scavenger hunt
- Bug scavenger hunt
- Five senses scavenger hunt
- Movement scavenger hunt
- Flashlight scavenger hunt
- Matching game
- I spy